Below are some general questions and answers relevant to the event
Please come swim ready and be ok with changing on the beach at the end of the swim. There are public toilets nearby the start and finish line if you prefer to use those.
We are happy for you to invite anyone you like to watch the swim.
Check in for the Experience will be from 0800am outside BSC Arch. You must arrive at the start location no later than 0945.
Check in for the race will be from 10am. You must arrive at the start location no later than 11am
Check in is a 10 min walk away from the start line so you will need to factor this in when checking in
There will be a bag drop at check in and you will only be able to take shoes and minimal clothing to the start line. Your main change of clothes and towels for after the race must be left at the check in area. Your bag will be given the same number as your hat number for ease of locating it at the end of the swim. You will be provided with a very small bag to take to the start line to put your shoes and any clothes you have in. They will be then transported back to the finish line at the end of the race around midday.
Please note: We can not take responsibility for any valuables left at the bag drop and at the start line.
You will be awarded with a medal at the end of the race and be given a non branded hat for the race. Branded merchandise for the swim will be available to purchase at the finish line.
Average sea temperature for this time of year in Brighton is 15°C
There is a public toilet close to the start and finish of the race which will be pointed out to anyone when they arrive onsite.
On street parking in central Brighton is by Pay & Display. There are several car parks in central Brighton but on a sunny day these can fill up early. Brighton Marina multi storey – (not the ASDA car park) offers 4 hours free parking and you can get to the Brighton (Palace) Pier on Volks Railway from near the marina.
Brighton Station to the West Pier is about a 20 minute mostly downhill walk.
If you are travelling to Brighton by car, you may want to consider parking for free on the outskirts and completing your journey into town by bus.
Brighton’s bus service is very efficient: see www.buses.co.uk for maps, fares and timetables.
This will be provided by Blue Response. There will kayakers and safety boats on the water and First Aid stations at the start and the finish with spotters placed on the beach along the course
Tickets are non refundable
If race is cancelled due to weather conditions your ticket will be carried over to the next reserve date
If the third back up date is cancelled due to weather conditions an offer of a 15% discount on next years race will be offered.
If the event is cancelled due to covid no refunds will be available unfortunately.
The registration fee must be paid at the time of registration. If the event is cancelled by the Brighton Swimming Club (for example, due to bad weather/dangerous conditions) your entrance will be moved over to the reserve dates highlighted on the website. If the second date is cancelled we will retain a £10 administration charge plus the £2.50 booking fee, and will refund the balance. Cancellations made by the entrant will not be eligible for a refund. If cancelled due to Covid we can not offer refunds unfortunately.
Terms and Conditions
The Brighton Swimming Club Pier to Pier Race is a scratch race where everyone will start at the same time. The Brighton Swimming Club Pier to Pier Experience is not a race and swimmers will be set off in heats of around 20 swimmers.
- By registering in the event you agree to be bound by these terms and conditions.
- The minimum entry age for the race is 14 years and 18 years for the Experience, on the date of the swim. The maximum age for the Race and Experience is 75 years.
- All under 18s must be a current, Swim England registered, member of a swimming club
- You are responsible for reading the information regarding the event contained on the website, sent to you by post or e-mail leading up to the swim, and on the day at the swim location site. You will also attend the safety briefing given by event organisers prior to the start of the swim.
- The registration fee must be paid at the time of registration. If the event is cancelled by the Brighton Swimming Club (for example, due to bad weather/dangerous conditions) your entrance will be moved over to the reserve dates highlighted on the website. If the second date is cancelled we will retain a £10 administration charge plus the £2.50 booking fee, and will refund the balance. Cancellations made by the entrant will not be eligible for a refund. If cancelled due to Covid we can not offer refunds unfortunately.
- If any details provided by you during registration change you must notify BSC immediately by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org . The BSC reserves the right to cancel your participation in the event if any information provided by you is found to be inaccurate in any way. In these circumstances the entrant will not be eligible for a refund.
- All competitors take part entirely at their own risk. Personal accident insurance included with Swim England will not apply as this is not a Swim England event. However, the event fee covers you individually with the BLDSA for this event. For insurance compliance, you are asked to note the following points, which include but are not limited to;
- The start will be from the beach.The finish is at the Palace Pier but you must swim back to shore to finish the event.
- Minimum age for participation is 14 years for the race and 18 for the experience
- There is a limitation to the number of swimmers based on the ratio of safety craft to swimmers
- You undertake to compete in this event at your own risk and fully understand that the organisers will not be held responsible for any injury (including death), illness, accident to your person, or loss of property resulting from any cause whatsoever. You have not been informed by any medical practitioner and you have no knowledge of any medical condition which would make it inadvisable for you to compete in this event. You can swim a minimum of 1 mile in open, deep water sea conditions, and are fully confident in your ability to complete the swim in under 50 mins.
- You agree to photographs and video being taken at the event and that any images of you may be used by BSC in any media regarding the event, and to market and advertise the event or any other similar events.
- By registering you are agreeing to any data provided being used by the BSC to contact you regarding this event only.
- Any swimwear can be worn during the race and experience including neoprene. No separate categories. No Fins allowed due to safety reasons. The minimum temperature for open water competition in England remains at 16C. Sea temperature will be measured one hour before the race starts, it has never been recorded below 18C.
- All swimmers at the end of the race must swim back to the shore and sign back in with one of the race organisers before leaving the vicinity
- The Perpetual trophies may be held by the winner(s) from the time of giving satisfactory guarantee until 30 days prior to the date fixed for the next event, or until written demand for return by Brighton S.C. The Perpetual trophies may not be taken out of the country.
- Entries will be on a first come first served basis up to a number that the organisers consider to be safe and manageable and entries should be made on the entry form as per the instructions on that form.
- The prizes shall be as follows:
- 1st finisher (any age) – female
- Places 2-3 (any age) – female
- 1st Under 18 (age on 16th July 2022) – female
- 1st Age 40 or over (age on 16th July 2022) – female
- Team: fastest 4 swimmers from one club (any age) – female
- 1st finisher (any age) – male
- Places 2-3 (any age) – male
- 1st Under 18 (age on 16th July 2022) – male
- 1st Age 40 or over (age on 16th July 2022) – male
- Team: fastest 4 swimmers from one club (any age) – male
- 1st Finisher (Any age) – Non Binary
- BSC reserves the right to change these terms and conditions at any time by posting changes online. Your continued use of this Website after changes are posted constitutes your acceptance of the modified terms and conditions.
- We are a LGBTQ+ inclusive event. Please contact the event organisers if you have any questions